Last week, we were all stunned into silence, sadness, and confusion when flooded with news of the suicides of Anthony Bourdain and Kate Spade. Many of you may still be struggling with the questions of “Why?” and “How often do we miss — OR ignore — the signals?”
Since then we have been inundated with calls at Counseling Space and CEO Motions as the week’s events reopened the dialogue about suicide and the shame and stigma around mental health in communities of color.
Here’s what I can tell you:
- Close to 800,000 people die due to suicide every year
- Every 40 seconds someone dies due to suicide
- There are indications that for each adult who died of suicide there may have been more than 20 others attempting suicide
Maybe you are at the point where you want to stop suffering in silence. Maybe you are ready to take action. Maybe you want to reach and help a loved one.
Here are some action plans:
- CALL the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- COMPLETE the Patient Health Questionnaire to discover the very blurred line between stress and depression
- DOWNLOAD our Health Insurance Cheat Sheet for guidelines on what to do if your therapist doesn’t take insurance
- BOOK a FREE Consultation Call with Counseling Space
If you’re a businesswoman barely beating burnout, please also consider joining our Wellness Board Room. Last week’s sad news stressed the importance of support and safe space once again! The Wellness Board Room was created because we understand the silent and secret challenges of entrepreneurship and professional leadership.
PLEASE DO NOT sacrifice living while pursuing your life’s goals and dreams.
What are some of the questions you’ve been processing in light of the news of Bourdain and Spade? I welcome your reflections and questions.